Reporting to the Communications Director, the Senior Communications Strategist will be responsible for developing and implementing a communications and media strategy that broadens national awareness of SPLC’s programs, increases visibility of its priorities, and promotes the organization’s brand.
• Develop a deep understanding of SPLC’s national, regional and state priorities and seek to enhance cohesion between specific initiatives and the overall communications strategy to support SPLC’s objectives;
• Work in collaboration across departments and with other communications staff to develop strong and consistent messaging guides on SPLC priorities, including – but not limited to – hate and extremism, economic justice, immigrant justice, LGBT rights, criminal law reform, and children’s rights;
• Write and edit press materials and communications plans; create press lists; build and cultivate relationships with key members of state and national media; pitch stories;
• Working with project, legal and policy staff, manage specific communications campaigns and projects: identify gaps, increase press outreach and generate public interest to enhance the organization’s reach and further its strategic goals;
• Monitor and evaluate campaigns and press outreach strategies, contribute to regular internal communications reports, provide regular analysis on how to improve communications efforts;
• Promote and contribute to a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, and collaboration.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher is required;
• A minimum of 8 years professional experience in developing and implementing communications strategies for advocacy with a track record of successfully positioning an organization or issue in a competitive media environment;
• Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communications skills;
• Ability to conduct web research, analyze information, and break complex information down into an easy to understand format;
• Familiarity with state and federal policy work and/or impact litigation;
• Detail oriented, hands-on, able to manage up or down, team player, and strong interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
• Advanced Spanish a plus.
Along with a resume, please submit a writing sample of up to 10 pages, and a cover letter.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.