The SPLC is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Using litigation, education, and other forms of advocacy, the SPLC works toward the day when the ideals of equal justice and equal opportunity will be a reality.
SPLC's Intelligence Project monitors activities of domestic hate groups and other extremists – including the Ku Klux Klan, the neo-Nazi movement, neo-Confederates, racist skinheads, antigovernment militias, and other forms of extremism. The team is tasked with tracking more than 1,600 extremist groups operating across the country. The Intelligence Project publishes a magazine, white papers, investigative reports, social media items and blog posts. The department also trains law enforcement officers and shares key intelligence and analysis about the radical right with the media, government officials and the public.
The SPLC’s Intelligence Project seeks a Deputy Director to work with IP’s Director to accomplish the department’s strategic goals. The Deputy Director will oversee the activities of the research and editorial staff; direct the development of innovative, high quality digital content; share responsibility for planning, budgeting and implementing strategic activities with the Director; lead internal and external collaborative projects as a representative of the department; and act on behalf of the Director in her absence. Management will be a key responsibility for a department with nearly 30 staffers. This position will be located in Atlanta, GA.
The Deputy Director will supervise and coordinate staff and IP program initiatives at the direction of the IP Director.
• Serve as a high level editorial director for the department’s publishing efforts;
• Help develop and execute IP’s editorial strategy both online and in print;
• Write major features and blog items for IP and SPLC publications;
• Produce ideas for IP and SPLC publications, campaigns and other advocacy efforts;
• Serve as a high level director for IP’s strategic efforts;
• Assist in editing material as requested;
• Write, edit and publish blogs, articles, white papers and op editorials for internal and external publications.
• Enforce department policies as directed by the IP director;
• Assist the director in budgeting, administration and other management responsibilities as directed by the IP director;
• Manage, develop and provide strategic direction to a team of professionals including the Director, Research, Managing Editor and other senior staff;
• Assist the director in management of editorial budgets, in collaboration with other IP staff;
• Share responsibility with director for program activities including strategic planning, outreach, partnerships and other departmental activities;
• Serve as full delegated authority to act on behalf of director in her absence;
• Work with Director to oversee, direct and supervise the Research and Editorial staff, to include prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
• Serve as a spokesperson and make public presentations on behalf of IP and SPLC;
• Oversee and participate in collaborative projects within and across departments in support of IP and SPLC programming, product development, messaging and policy recommendations;
• Oversee departmental outreach to and collaboration with outside publications and organizations.
• Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree strongly preferred;
• 7+ years management experience;
• 5+ years of academic writing, editing and/or investigative journalism experience;
• Demonstrated experience in public speaking and working with the media;
• Strong project management orientation;
• Experience leading, motivating, and developing high performance teams;
• Has a depth of experience in strategy, planning, and management;
• Demonstrated track record of successful publication as both a writer and editor across a variety of media formats, including magazine, web and academic publishing;
• Knowledge of the radical right a plus;
• Must be a team player;
• Commitment to the values and mission of SPLC.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity:
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.