The Senior Communications Strategist – Public Policy is responsible for developing and implementing communications and media strategies to advance the SPLC’s public policy goals in the Deep South. This position reports to the Communications Director.
• Develop a deep understanding of SPLC’s national, regional and state priorities and work to enhance cohesion between state public policy objectives and the overall communications strategy to support SPLC’s goals;
• Work in collaboration across departments and with other communications and editorial staff to develop, implement, and manage communications plans on SPLC priorities, including – but not limited to – economic justice, immigrant justice, LGBT rights, criminal law reform, children’s rights, and hate and extremism;
• Develop effective messaging for priority issues;
• Manage specific communications campaigns and projects, and supervise a small team of communications associates focused on policy work in the South;
• Write and edit press materials (including op-eds, letters to the Editor, press releases, statements etc.); create press lists, build and cultivate relationships with key members of state and national media, pitch stories;
• Increase press outreach and generate public interest to further SPLC’s goals;
• Monitor and evaluate campaigns and press outreach strategies, contribute to regular internal communications reports, provide regular analysis on how to improve communications efforts;
• Participate in coalitions;
• Promote and contribute to a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, and collaboration;
• Other tasks, as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher is required;
• A minimum of 8 years professional experience in developing and implementing strategies for public policy advocacy with a track record of successfully positioning an organization or issue in a competitive environment;
• A strong understanding of the role communications and public education play in public policy advocacy work;
• Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communications skills;
• Detail oriented, leadership skills, hands-on, able to manage up or down, team player, strong interpersonal skills and flexibility;
• Committed to the values and mission of the SPLC;
• Prior leadership experience desired;
• Advanced Spanish a plus.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.