SPLC on Campus seeks to empower college students across the country to become more engaged in our democracy. Young people have played key roles in almost every major social movement in the U.S., including the modern American Civil Rights Movement, the LGBTQ, environmental, antiwar and immigrant rights movements. By providing free educational resources and organizational support, SPLC on Campus assists students in making the connection between the social justice issues they care about and politics while encouraging non-violent student activism.
Last year we launched a campaign, #RegisterShowUpVote, that resulted in Clubs holding voter registration drives on and off campus. SPLC on Campus Clubs in Alabama and Georgia came together on the anniversary of the signing of the Voting Rights Act for a day of canvassing to reach eligible voters in rural Alabama. This year’s campaign, #WhatDemocracyLooksLike serves as a rallying cry to students across the country who are bombarded with biased and bigoted rhetoric that seeks to divide them.
Under the supervision of the Director of Outreach, the Outreach Manager will play an integral role in supporting all aspects of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s outreach initiatives and management of Civil Rights Memorial Center (CRMC)staff. The Outreach Manager will oversee and facilitate all efforts to engage with local, state and national partners to enhance the profile of the CRMC and the Center’s outreach efforts. The Outreach Manager will supervise and support the SPLC on Campus team.
• Supervise a team of Outreach & CRMC staff, interns, and volunteers;
• Facilitate and manage CRMC operations as directed by Director of Outreach;
• Coordinate and manage calendar of Outreach and Museum Events;
• Attend outreach events designated by Director of Outreach;
• Build and maintain relationships; support SPLC on Campus team building in strong relationships with University Stakeholders
• Serve as supervisor contact with university administrators and campus liaisons;
• Build effective partnerships with internal stakeholders to meet strategic outcomes for the Center’s Outreach efforts;
• Build strong local and national partnerships that raise the profile of the CRMC and the Center’s organizing and outreach work;
• Plans and hosts regular events for various stakeholders, including the community-at-large, community partner organizations, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree required;
• Proven excellent verbal communication and public speaking skills;
• Must be sensitive to and knowledgeable of diverse, underserved communities;
• Willingness to work evenings or weekends when necessary;
• Excellent organizational abilities, especially regarding events and scheduling;
• Written communication skills adequate to draft memos, correspondences, etc., as needed or directed by Director of Outreach;
• Able to effectively organize and present information in group settings, both formal and informal;
• Supervisory experience required;
• Able to work effectively, independently, and collaboratively. Self-starter.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.