The Southern Poverty Law Center, a leading civil rights organization based in Montgomery, Alabama, seeks a Communications Associate. The SPLC Communications Associate will work with the communications team to obtain media coverage of the SPLC and its priority issues. This position is focused on, but not limited to, immigrant rights and criminal justice reform. The ideal candidate should have a passion for and knowledge of SPLC work areas including LGBT rights, economic justice, criminal Justice, children’s rights, immigrant justice, and fighting hate and extremism.
• Develop and implement communications plans that are part of a broader communications strategy to maximize SPLC’s exposure, and gain support for its mission and priorities;
• Obtain media coverage of the SPLC and its priority issues. This includes strategic pitching of stories and op-eds, planning and organizing press conferences and other events; distributing press releases and other materials; fielding media requests; booking SPLC experts on radio and TV talk shows; and taking advantage of opportunities in the news cycle.
• Develop messaging;
• Write and edit press releases and advisories, talking points, op-ed, letters to the editor, factsheets, and other materials;
• Build and cultivate relationships with key reporters, editorial writers, columnists, producers, and news and talk show hosts;
• Manage and expand media contacts
• Monitor, analyze, and report results and outcomes of department’s efforts.
Education and Related Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2-3 years professional work experience;
• Experience developing media strategies to garner favorable press coverage;
• Exceptional communications skills, including clear, concise writing and ability to frame complex issues for the media and public;
• Spanish language skills highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong interest in, and passion for, social and racial justice;
• Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in a fast-paced environment;
• Must take direction well, but be self-motived with ability to work independently;
• Ability to work under deadline pressure;
• Must be highly organized with the ability to prioritize work;
• Must be familiar with legal advocacy efforts; and
• Have a desire to learn, and be positive, energetic, and respectful of others.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.