Southern Poverty Law Center seeks an energetic person with membership organizing and recruitment experience to strengthen SPLC on Campus. The person in this role will work with the SPLC on Campus Coordinator and the Director of Outreach in the development and coordination of strategies to increase campus club activity and footprint of the overall program. The Outreach and Organizing Specialist is responsible for mobilizing campus communities, building excitement around SPLC issues areas. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic speaker, compelling writer, have strong cultural competency and ability to work with college students, faculty and administrators from many communities, classes, ages, abilities, gender identities, gender expression, and more.
• Increase and strengthen participation of Campus Clubs in project campaigns;
• Recruit new campus clubs through presentations, tabling and other outreach activities;
• Identify potential campus coalition partners and cultivate relationships;
• Draft blog posts, digital and print communications that enhance program efforts and recognition;
• Work with Club leadership to design and implement action plans;
• Make presentations on SPLC’s work to select organizations, both locally and nationally;
• Work with SPLC on Campus Coordinator to ensure efforts are streamlined and consistent with national program directives and goals;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelors’ Degree;
• Two years of work experience, membership organizing, recruitment and advocacy experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Exceptional relationship-building skills; collaborative, innovative, personable and cooperative;
• Strong self-starter with excellent project management skills and technological aptitude;
• Strong writing, editing, quantitative and research skills. Working knowledge and experience with social media and Google Analytics;
• Effective time management abilities, flexible, detail oriented and organized
• Ability to seamlessly shift between strategic and tactical responsibilities;
• Ability to work efficiently both independently and a team player;
• Commitment to social justice and education issues.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.