The Communications Assistant is responsible for a wide array of communications activities, including fielding media inquiries, monitoring news coverage, maintaining databases and conducting limited media outreach.
• Monitors news coverage on a daily basis, tracks media exposure on projects, and produces monthly communications reports;
• Manages media inquiries;
• Creates and maintains database of media contacts;
• Helps implement communications strategies and assists with media outreach;
• Participates in departmental meetings and collaborative projects;
• Updates and disseminates internal weekly calendar;
• Coordinates department attendance at and participation in professional conferences or events; maintains up-to-date schedule of event opportunities, registrations, and travel;
• Performs administrative duties to include typing, filing, copying, mailings, and telephone communications;
• Receives, reviews, and processes all requisitions, invoices, and expense vouchers;
• Other tasks as assigned.
Education and Related Work Experience:
• Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Journalism or Public Affairs and a minimum of one year of related job experience;
• Knowledge of and experience working with news and online media;
• Exceptional communications skills, including clear, concise writing and ability to frame complex issues for the media, members and the public;
• Excellent computer skills; must be highly proficient in word processing, spreadsheet and database programs; must be able to conduct research using databases and Internet;
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Strong interest in and passion for social and racial justice;
• Excellent communication abilities (oral and written);
• Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment;
• Must take direction well but be self-motivated with ability to work independently;
• Ability to prioritize projects and work under tight deadlines;
• Must be highly organized;
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing tasks and demands.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.