The SPLC Digital Media Associate is responsible for managing our online voice through content development and publishing across digital platforms, social media outlets, blogs and email channels. Often working autonomously, the digital media associate will also contribute to growing our audience and expanding our influence by monitoring our digital presence, identifying opportunities to join conversations, establishing connections with key influencers, and driving engagement. The candidate must have a strong passion for advancing the cause of social justice.
This position can be located in either Atlanta, GA or Montgomery, AL.
• Develops and updates content on SPLC websites, blogs and other digital platforms;
• Creates and updates content and maintains a consistent presence across all social media channels;
• Identifies larger trends and engagement opportunities;
• Monitors dialogue across designated social media channels;
• Drives engagement through content, blog posts, providing initial responses to inquiries, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate;
• Assists in formulating a comprehensive digital strategy that is integrated with SPLC’s larger communications strategy;
• Assists in the development and testing of methods for measuring the impact of all digital communications.
Education and Related Work Experience:
• Coursework or equivalent experience in any of these disciplines: digital communications, public relations, nonprofit advocacy, social justice or human rights;
• 2 years of professional experience working in a digital/social media capacity;
• Complete proficiency with digital media practices, tools and platforms and social media;
• A keen understanding of how digital strategies are applied to public relations and engagement;
• Experience working for a nonprofit, political campaign or social action campaign a plus.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Demonstrable knowledge of online engagement and activism;
• Demonstrable knowledge of creation of compelling social media content;
• Content marketing;
• Excellent written communication skills;
• Strong copyediting and proofreading skills;
• Ability to multi-task in high-pressure situations;
• Highly proactive and innovative problem solver;
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to independently manage priorities;
• Ability to adapt to rapid developments and shifting deadlines;
• Ability to work with staff across all organizational programs;
• Positive, energetic, personable, and respectful of others;
• Strong passion for social justice and fostering social change;
• Comfortable working with remote colleagues and using interoffice online communications tools.
Other Special Considerations:
Flexible schedule, available “on call” for after-hours events & activities.
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.